Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ducks, in a row

Derek has been in Vegas since Sunday for a tradeshow.  He taught a class on how to stack mouldings in an interesting and most clever way (which, I must say, we are famous for) and this morning he is part of a breakfast panel.  I told him to make sure he gets me a job while he is there.  I've already got a possible lead on one thing, but it can't hurt to be prepared.  Get some ducks lined up.  Well, he may have come through.  Possibly.  I'm not sure.  He says he's not kidding, but we'll see.  Hmm.  This may be the year....

Speaking of none of that, I meant to tell you yesterday about the dinner I have been cooking lately.  As in four times in the last week.  You peel four carrots and chop chop chop them into matchsticks.  Throw those in a pan with some olive oil.  Flip them around, then add some salt and freshly cracked pepper.  Cook.  Add in a sliced giant shallot.  Cook some more.  While this is happening, defrost one of those lovely pieces of tilapia from the frozen section at Costco.  Take carrots/shallot out of the pan and add the tilapia.  Sear on both sides.  Add a little extra olive oil if it looks like your smoke detector is about to go off.  Put a lid on the pan for a minute or so.  Add some butter (organic, pastured butter if you've got it - mmmmmm) and dump the carrots/shallot back on top.  Put a lid on it again for a minute.  Arrange gracefully on a plate.  Admire your own genius.  Open your flip-top head and toss it all in.  Yum.  I could eat this every day.  Which of course explains why I had chocolate and potato chips for dinner last night instead.  Oops.

Getting back to the ducks for a minute, I painted another rooster.  I know, I know, but they're both fowl, right?




The background on this one is a bit startling.  When I was painting it, I opened the lid of that metallic green paint - it comes in a jar - and I had a senior moment.  The lid went flying and, as is always the case with me, it landed butter-side down on the carpet.  Once again I give thanks and praise to Windex.  I use that stuff more on the carpet than I do on my windows.

Oh, and here is the fourth of my mini Midnight Pears:


Wee.  I finally finished a word painting last night that I started a couple weeks ago.  No pictures yet - that'll be tomorrow.  I've got another one in the works but I'm a bit afraid to paint the words because I love love love the way the background came out, and I don't want to ruin it.  HA!  One of these days I need to finish the one I was so excited about back in July....

I'm designing myself a new business card.  Here's the draft:


I need to stop looking at it - see if I still like it in a couple of days.  Feedback?  Bring it.  Gracias.

No comments:

Post a Comment