Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March Madness

No, this post is not about basketball.

There are three parts to my life that are critical for my emotional well-being and it seems, based on many past experiences, that I am not able to maintain at a high standard more than one of those parts at a time.  Case in point:  a few months ago I finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up, and I started painting things of which I am very proud, and I started a blog to yap about it all.  This is good.  However, at about the same time, my commitment to exercise became fairly nonexistent, and I started eating my weight in bad carbs every day.  This is bad.  Very bad.  I have many times attempted a multi-faceted "fix" but it has never worked.  In March I am going to try again.  This is madness.

First is food.  Here is my nutrition philosophy, cleverly summed up by Uffe Ravinskov, MD, PhD:

"Everyone must gain the truth in an active way.  If you want to know something you must look at all the premises yourself, listen to all the arguments yourself, and then decide for yourself what seems to be the most likely answer.  You may easily be led astray if you ask the authorities to do this work for you."

So I did all my research, and I know what I want to be eating and why, yet I can't get myself to do it.  I have been packing away cookies like there is no tomorrow, knowing all the while that SUGAR IS EVIL.  This I am fixing in March by following the Whole 30 plan.  I actually started yesterday so today, March 1st, is day two.  Check this link for more info.: http://whole9life.com/2010/12/whole30-2011/.

Next up in the Big Three is exercise.  Here is my exercise philosophy, cleverly summed up by me:  I am happiest when I feel good about myself, and I feel the best about myself when I work out a lot.  So -- no brainer, right?  I even set what, at the time, was a very attainable goal:  run 1,000 miles this year.  Then I quit working out altogether.  I had all kinds of excuses, good ones, bad ones, stupid ones, you name it.  March is going to be the month I get my shit together again.  Crossfit is still on hold because it is costing me a FORTUNE driving to Kalispell four times a week, but I am becoming reacquainted with the treadmill starting today.

Last, but certainly not least, is my creative outlet.  I've already got this one figured out - the trick will be to keep it going.  And I am working on something new that so far appears to be halfway decent.  This is good.  I am also finishing a project for a show at the Art Center this week, getting some pieces ready for a one-day group miniature show on the 11th (more on that later) and I need to paint a piece before the 19th to submit to another miniature show.  If this blog suddenly turns into strictly an exercise log, or a food diary, you will know I am struggling with my juggling (heh heh - that was funny).

March Madness.  Bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment