Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Everything Cherry

So here is what happened on Monday.  I slept late, as is my Monday ritual, then went to Kalispell to meet with the accountant to get our tax returns.  By the time I got home it was raining a bit, and I had a hard time convincing myself to run in the rain, instead of sitting on the couch reading.  The internal debate raged even as I was changing my clothes and lacing up my shoes.  Three miles later, Roxie and I were pretty proud of ourselves.  I refueled with chocolate (damn you, 70% off Easter candy).

Evening comes and, still riding my runner's high (although I'm pretty sure it was a chocolate high) I decided to get lots of things accomplished.  First I washed some dishes and in the process broke a lovely blue pottery bowl.  Damn.  Then I cooked some hot Italian sausage so I would have something for lunch this week.  I had two packages of sausage, and as I was unwrapping the second one I noticed an awful lot of blood on the bottom of the first package.  "Ew," I thought to myself.  "That's a gross, bloody package of meat and why didn't I notice in the store?"  Well.  Turns out the gross bloody meat was actually my FINGER, which I had cut on the blue pottery bowl when it broke.  Man, what a bleeder.

Moving on.  The dishes were washed and the food cooked, so I stepped out of my kitchen and into my studio (HA!) to finish my WHEN I RUN painting.  And of course I accidentally knocked over a small bottle of silver paint.  Pooh.  Stupid moment.  In my infinite wisdom, I decided the best recovery method would be to scoop the paint back into the bottle, but wouldn't you know -- when you tip the bottle AGAIN, even more paint falls out.  Duh.  Stupider moment.  Got that cleaned up with the aid of a palette knife, but still wasted a bunch of nice silver paint - I was covered.  Not ten minutes later, when I had moved on to another piece, I ran into the issue of an almost empty tube of paint.  Now, tubes hold thicker paint than bottles -- heavy body vs. fluid, for instance. But this does not mean it is a good idea to vigorously shake the tube, while open, to get the last bits of paint out.  Nope.  Not at all a good idea.  In fact, I would call it a stupiderest idea.  Lucky for me I noticed the giant blob of paint that landed on my nice clean jammies.  Red paint.  Would have been funny if I hadn't noticed, went to bed with wet red paint on my leg, and awoke to find myself apparently bleeding out.

Never a dull moment.

Here is the first piece I am doing for the Everything Cherry show the Museum is holding next month.  The show is part juried art show and part historical exhibit.



The cherry is very ... round.  I want to call this "Bada Bing" but it's not dark enough.

P.S.  I have a post-it note on the wall above my desk with this quote from Oscar Wilde:

To live is the rarest thing in the world.
Most people exist, that is all.

I might have to do another running painting that says WHEN I RUN, I LIVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment