Today is Last Fridays at work. We didn't have very much time to plan this month, since I was away and Derek was prepping for cooking classes he taught this week. Our last minute food decisions involve tapenade, homemade gazpacho and lemon basil cookies. I found this recipe on Food.com back in May, and they are really good. Trust me. Go now to the store and buy basil and lemons. Make the cookies. Eat them, preferably with a bottle of bubbly. That's what I will be doing later today.
LEMON BASIL COOKIES WITH PISTACHIOS
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon lemon rind, grated
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup fresh basil, minced (can use lemon basil)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup pistachios, finely chopped
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1. Beat butter on medium using an electric mixer until fluffy; add 3/4 cup sugar; beat well.
2. Add egg, lemon rind, lemon juice and minced basil; beat until blended.
3. Mix together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the butter mixture, beating until blended.
4. Cover and chill 1 hour.
5. Mix together nuts and the 3 tablespoons sugar.
6. Roll dough into small balls (about 1" diameter); roll each ball in nut/sugar mixture.
7. Place onto ungreased baking sheets (I used parchment paper on the baking sheets).
8. Flatten each cookie using the bottom of a glass (dipped in sugar first if the dough sticks to glass).
9. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown.
10. Allow to cool on wire racks.