Sunday, October 23, 2011

Adivasi

My high-school friend Elissa owns a small business in downtown Brattleboro, Vermont.  They were hit pretty hard by hurricane Irene and spent six weeks cleaning mud off furniture, hand-washing linens, waiting for their building to be habitable again.  Last I heard they did not qualify for any FEMA assistance.  It was very heartwarming to read about how the Brattleboro business community helped each other through the disaster.  As a small business owner myself, I'm pretty darn sure that being closed for six weeks would cripple me.  But they got back in their space about two weeks ago and are open for business!  Check them out online at http://www.adivasi.com/.

I bought two beautiful pillow covers from Adivasi when they were trying to raise some money by listing items for sale online.  They are handmade by someone right in Brattleboro, and I figured they would either make a lovely addition to my couch, or a lovely Christmas gift.  Turns out they will be a lovely addition to my couch.  Someone won't give them up.


She won't even share with me.  (And yes, that is white paint on the couch pillow.  Damn stuff is everywhere.  Grr.)

No comments:

Post a Comment