Friday, March 28, 2014

Make the world more awesome

You absolutely must go here and watch all of the Kid Snippets videos.  They are videos scripted by little kids and acted out by adults with the kid voices dubbed in.  They.  Are.  So.  Funny.  Almost as good as Kid President.  He's on the SoulPancake youtube channel.  Start with this one to get the back story, then jump to A Pep Talk from Kid President.  All of that - it's your homework assignment.  Plan to spend some quality time.  Trust me when I say it is worth it.

So, remember when I showed you a picture of the painting that made me feel like a grown up?  The tree piece with a dark red background?  I did something even better.  This is what I did to make the world more awesome:


I named it "wabi sabi winter" and it is the first painting I almost left unvarnished because it looked cool that way.


Can you see the difference?  The texture is more apparent in the unvarnished version, which I liked, but ultimately I gave in to my love of shiny things.  I don't know if I can paint anything else like this - I've got the background on another panel painted and I will try to add the rest tomorrow.  It may be a disaster, but it may be a.w.e.s.o.m.e.r.  Stay tuned.

In the "I was just messing around to see if the idea I thought of in the middle of the night while I couldn't sleep" department, here is a winter tree on a canvas with the sides painted, so it will not require a frame:


Hmmm.  I've got another idea that involves the pile of slate outside at the edge of the yard, but I need to wait for the snow to melt before I try that one.  Which means I could be waiting until September, at the rate we are going.  I heard the plow go by very early this morning and I got up to find a good two inches of fresh stuff, with more coming down in a big fluffy mess.  Now it is raining.  The forecast claims we are going to hit 47 degrees by middle of next week, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Nothing much else new around here, except for this:


Ooooh, countertops.  They are not blemish free, and I think I was a bit over zealous with the stain, which is an issue I believe I can remedy with some mineral spirits - I will find out in a minute - but they are going to be wicked cool.  Hopefully my sister will go with me to pick up the biggest of the five pieces tomorrow when she comes over.  I was hoping someone would deliver it to me this week so I could get started on the staining process (which involves a pre-stain conditioner and then one coat of stain on the underside, then the pre-stain conditioner and two coats of stain on the top and sides, then one or two coats of poly on the underside, then three coats of poly on the tops and sides).  I discovered a logistical error in my countertop calculations, which I will explain at a later date when I have photos to use as a visual aid.  I've got the first coat of primer on all the unfinished cabinet and filler bits in the kitchen and hope to be finished with the next two coats of primer and three coats of paint by Tuesday.  Confession time:  I should have the third coat of primer done by now, but I got distracted by those darn Kid Snippets.  Oops.

The bathroom is in the home stretch.  I painted the walls last night/today!  Woo hoo!  Two little bits of beadboard need a slap of white paint, then all the raw pine needs to be primed and painted, the skylight needs one more coat of primer then some white paint, Matt needs to come back and install the vanity light, then at some point I will repaint the window trim and the door.  BOOM.  It will be done.  This is where we are right now:


That's a pale purple on the wall.  It's actually called Winter Gray.  I can't believe how different it looks in there.  The water has been hooked up for a week but I'm afraid to flush the toilet.  What if it leaks, like the old one did?  Maybe we should have tested that before putting the kitchen back together.  Actually, I'm sure they tested it when they installed it, and I've got total faith in Dean's plumbing ability, but still....

Okay, I have a quick date with some mineral spirits.  And you've got a date with some youtube videos  Then we all need to go make the world more awesome.

Rock and roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment