Friday, August 21, 2015

Tiddlywinks

I'm going to get a little ahead of myself here and dive right in to a few bits of random nonsense. Mom and I saw this lovely mushroom in my yard last weekend:


Perfect timing for a sighting because by the next day it was losing color and starting to deflate.  It was really pretty.  Which means it's probably poisonous.  Or something from Mario Bros.  I told mom it reminded me of the Tiddlywinks game we had as kids.  The container of our game was a plastic mushroom, which looked absolutely nothing like this mushroom.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with Tiddlywinks, in a nutshell you flick a squidger across a wink aiming for the pot while also squopping your opponents' winks to prevent them from potting.

I know, it sounds complicated.  But it's true.  Check Wikipedia - that's what I did.

Anyway, if I am remembering correctly, our game looked like this one that I just found on eBay:


You can see why the yellow mushroom made me immediately think of Tiddlywinks.  Right?  Heh heh.  I wonder whatever happened to that game.

But I digress.

There have been a few Morning Glory sightings this week as well.


Up until today they had decided to bloom one at a time.  This morning I saw about ten out there.

This week we had summer, all at once, and it has been hot and swampy.  Really hot.  So hot I took the hose out for the first time in forever and let Roxie try to catch the water.  She was soaked (we were both soaked) after five minutes.  I figured it was a good way to cool her down, and she was so happy she took off across my yard and threw herself sideways onto the grass at a full run.  It was like she was sliding into third.  She landed on one of her six foot long sticks and rolled around on that like a mad dog - I wish I could have video taped the whole thing.  She hasn't smiled that big since Liam was here throwing the ball for her:


Okay, in the interest of full disclosure I just took this picture over the weekend.  I wouldn't want you to think she's a sad dog all the time.  Today she helped my neighbor cut down some trees in the woods behind my house and she came prancing back all proud of herself with another six foot long stick.

But getting back to the flowers, the Lucifer have been so so so pretty this year:


Oh wait, that's still poodle.  Try again:


I only had one of these buggers bloom last summer but this year they are all over.  It might be my favorite of everything that was pre-planted here.

Oh, hey, speaking of things that were pre-planted here, I found THIS two days ago:


Seriously?  Yes.  A massive wad of plastic from right THERE, just past the edge of the grass.  Poodle is standing next to it for scale.  The whole pile filled a contractor garbage bag.  Deja vu all over again.  In the same spot I also found part of a plastic multi-colored something-or-other and a deflated child's rubber bouncy ball thing with a handle on top.  The kind you sit on and use to bounce around. Yellow.  With a blue handle.

I haven't even mentioned the excavation Evan started with his metal detector that turned into a wide-ranging forage down the hillside towards the creek.  So far the spoils of that adventure include fifty zillion nails and packs of two-inch long staples, a decorative cat missing an ear, a wee small child's boot, nine dog bones (NINE!), another tire, a tire iron for all those tires and a carpet sweeper.  Still no dead body.  Still no stash of gold coins.  But we're getting closer to finding the complete car that I'm convinced is buried out back - I found the glove compartment door, then mom and I found the steering wheel.

One last note for today.  This has been a bad week to decide I want to paint every day - 90 degree weather with 80% humidity is not conducive to paint and varnish actually drying.  But I've finished another word piece, and if all goes according to plan (fingers crossed) I will have another tree piece sometime soon.  I'm going to paint a bunch of words for my booth at the fall craft show in October, and I've decided some words deserve to be painted more than once.  So here's a crappy picture of one of those words:


It's a good lesson for me, especially when I'm looking around at the piles of garbage we're collecting from all over my property.  The painting is called "Sink or Swim."  With those two choices, I will always choose to swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment