Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Soundtracks

I like to listen to music when I paint (the right soundtrack is, at times, crucial to the outcome of the piece) and for the past few days, while working on Andrew's commission, I've been listening to Andrew Bird.  I didn't do that on purpose - it just happened.  I must recommend this CD.  I bought it on a whim because the title was interesting.  How can anyone turn down something called "Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs"?  I was way pleasantly surprised when I listened to it.  One of the songs has the word "conflagration" in it.  Seriously.  And how many songs can you list that use the word "snacks"?  Come on, count 'em up.  Snacks.  It's a crazy good CD.  And because it's so good, I've now finished what will be the top panel, varnish and all (the rest of my Dick Blick order came today - yay!).  Two down, one to go.  Of course, the middle one is going to be the hardest.  I can't start it for another couple of days anyway because ... guess what?!?  I needed to order more paint.  Can you believe it?  I just placed a gigantic order, and then used up three of the colors I need.  Poo.

In the meantime, here is a picture of my coat closet.  Yes, my coat closet:



As you can see, things are getting crowded in here.  I don't know where to put the canvases that are stacked on the floor.  I used to keep all my art junk in the sauna but quit for two reasons:  first, it's as far from where I paint as you can get in my wee home and still be indoors; and second, during winter the temperature in there goes below 50 degrees.  That's too cold for art junk.  I seriously might have to take my dishes out of the cupboard and stash them in the sauna.  It's not like I need very many.

(Did you notice that the box I use to store paint is a box of string cheese?  Ew.  And do you recall that the "palette" I use, when I need one, is the lid from a bucket of ricotta cheese?  Double ew.)

Only one other completed piece today, in addition to the mysterious top panel.  It's a weird one.  I'm sure someone will love it.  Someday.  Maybe.



When I got home from work today and walked in the door it smelled really good in here.  My first thought was that someone had broken in during the day (hard to do, since I keep the door unlocked) and cooked something.  It took me a minute to remember that I had cooked something good last night - homemade spaghetti sauce.  Doh.  Genius, at times, I am not.

No comments:

Post a Comment