Saturday, February 4, 2012

Doughnuts

Happy first day of the Year of the Black Water Dragon!  I must start off the new lunar year with a confession:  I didn't get any of my cleaning done.  This turned into a strange week.  Wednesday rolled around and I was still floating on the high that was January (our best January in 14 years at work -- by a lot).  Then Thursday morning I saw on facebook that it was the one year anniversary for a friend of being cancer free.  That's a good thing.  At 8:45 a.m., another friend had her divorce hearing.  That's also good.  One of my favorite cousins had a birthday.  Again -- all good.  I got to work and discovered my email had been hacked.  Eh, not so good, but still not terrible.  Just an inconvenience.  Then over the course of the day three different people came in to talk about the guy who got trapped in an avalanche on Wednesday afternoon.  I hadn't heard about it.  Search and rescue teams weren't able to reach the site until Thursday afternoon, when they recovered his body.  Turns out it was the husband of a friend of ours.  Wow.  That one threw me for a loop.  I had never met Mark, but we've known Deliah for years.  I spent pretty much all day Thursday and most of the day Friday thinking about it; what a horrible, horrible situation.  Life really can change in an instant.  I want to keep reminding myself to count my blessings, but then I feel bad for having blessings to count when I know Deliah is going through hell.  I need to reconcile my happiness at the positive things in my life, while still being sad for the tragedy in Deliah's life.  It has been a partially subconscious mental battle, and it wore me out.  I had no energy to dust and vacuum, I just wanted to sit on the couch with my poodle, all squished up together under a blanket.  So the cleaning waits for another day - hopefully today.

Yesterday, as he does every Friday, the owner of Bad Dog Bakery stopped in to see if he could tempt us with anything.  Dan is moving his business from Kalispell to Bigfork, and while the build-out is ongoing he stops around town with a truck full of yummies.  Unfortunately for him, I am currently gluten-free.  Unfortunately for me, he says he will be making gluten-free doughnuts.  (Are you reading this Derek?  GLUTEN-FREE DOUGHNUTS!)  I am so in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment