Friday, May 13, 2011

Star Light, Star Bright

I had a particularly bad day last week.  The next morning when I got to work I found a big sign on my desk that said,

"When it is dark enough you can see the stars."

Now, if you have known me for any length of time, you know I have a thing about stars.  I quoted Oscar Wilde in my high school year book - "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."  When the Art Center auctioned off hand-painted chairs as a fundraiser several years ago, mine was a child's chair with a "Twinkle, Twinkle" theme.  One of my very first word paintings said, "I shine like a million stars."  Hell, you remember my self-portrait called "Star Ascending," right?  And of course you have seen my tattoos.

So anyway.
"When it is dark enough you can see the stars."
-- Persian Proverb

This led me to:
"Even a small star shines in the darkness."
-- Danish Proverb

Isn't that beautiful?  Those Danes are clever.  And then here:

"I will love the light for it shows me the way,
yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars."
-- Og Mandino

Living in Big Sky Country, this one is SO true:

"I would rather learn from one bird how to sing than to teach 10,000 stars
how not to dance."
-- e.e. cummings

And finally, with feeling:

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty,
but the sight of the stars makes me dream."
-- Vincent van Gogh

Here I am with these quotes, each of which resonates with me.  It is comforting to feel like there is always a silver lining, even in our darkest moments.  Then, not four hours later I get an email from my Uncle Tato.  About van Gogh.  In fact, it's about van Gogh's "Starry Night."  Whoa.  That's just freaky.  Oh, and it's also about bacon.


Bacon as art.  Can it get any better?


No comments:

Post a Comment